LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.06.01 (01) [E]

Sun Jun 1 17:12:48 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 01 June 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.05.31 (01) [E]

 Dear Ron

Subject: LL-L: Etymology

You said
*(I still have a hard time "saying" this name, considering that it is
derived from pejorative "bastard." However, I am not putting it in quotation
marks because the people themselves have decided to own this name, and
apparently proudly so. Something similar happened in the case of Canada's
Métis.)

I supposed that it was in English that the word was pejorative,
understandably, if it specified one who was born out of wedlock, & in times
past for that reason beyond the social pale. However, in Afrikaans we use
that term for 'hybrid'. Hybridisation is 'uitbastering' & 'hybrid vogour' is
'basterkrag'. There is quite another word referring to racial mixing out of
that community & among their white neighbours. One seldom hears it, for good
reason. It retains the power to shock & has often even into present times
led the effusion of blood. Dare I even write it...? 'Halfnaaitjie': Please
do not use it.

Your question:

Exactly what sort of Afrikaans is it that the Basters speak natively?

I feel I aught to apologise in advance to Elsie, who has a philological ear
nearer to the ground in their part of the World, for pre-empting her.
However, I have had a bit of contact with them in times past, & it seemed to
me they spoke a fairly academic Kaaps Afrikaans between themselves. For
example, there was no 'klankbreek', diphthongisation, to the long vowels
that we tend to hear in the Transvaal, & their language is replete with
terminology that didn't make it to my neck of the woods. For example, they
refer to black men & women as 'outa' & 'ayah', that came from terms of
address to Cape Malays. Is this how she sounded?

Your suggestion:

I suggest we occasionally discuss Baster history and culture as well. These
seem very interesting to me, especially the aspect of "conservatism" that
some people describe as "more Dutch than the Dutch."

I like the idea. Only let me wait until another bloke puts his foot in it as
well. I agree about their conservatism though, & they are indeed,
quintessentially, more Afrikaans than the Afrikaners.

Yrs in anticipation,
Mark