LL-L "Technica" 2008.06.01 (02) [E]

Sun Jun 1 17:22:06 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 01 June 2008 - Volume 02

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2008.05.31 (07) [E/German]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

> First of all, are you talking about FileZilla or FileZilla Server?

FileZilla

> In FileZilla I tried to follow what you wrote in German and did ...
>
> Edit > Settings > FTP > FTP Keep-alive = clicked box labeled "Send FTP
> keep-alive commands" and OKed
>
> But the problem remained.
>
> Underneath it says "A proper server does not require this. Contact the
> server administrator if you need this."
>
> What shall I do?

There's a sub-window in FileZilla  (by default at the upper end) where
status messages, commands and responses are logged. Are there status
messages appearing in that line (about every 30 seconds or so), something
like "sending FTP keep-alive command"?
The time-outs are thrown by your server, if you are inactive for some time
(300 seconds is a typical time for a time-out). The FTP client has to make
sure, that the connection keeps alive by sending commands with no effect,
setting the time-out counter to zero again. If there are "sending FTP
keep-alive command" messages in that log, what kind of command follows? A
typical keep-alive command is "NOOP" (no operation, telling the server: "I
have no commands for you, but I am still there. Keep up the connection").
Some servers ignore the "NOOP" command.
Using another client _can_ help, but the basic problem lies with the server.
So asking the server administrator might help.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2008.05.31 (04) [E]

In message <57c981290805311313x40204fd5q659390518802d920 at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> i.e. Reinhard/Ron writes

> Alternatively, does any of you know of a secure FTP program (preferably
> freeware) that does not leave me hanging with this problem

I am not sure about its security, but I use FireFTP, a FireFox extension -
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/help.html

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
       ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Thank you very much, Marcus and Pat! This is very helpful.

I'll pursue your tips and will see which is the best solution.

P.S.: I'm off to help put to a rest the body of a friend young enough to be
my son ... So, sorry if I seem a bit distracted.