LL-L "Songs" 2008.06.04 (04) [E]

Wed Jun 4 18:23:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 04 June 2008 - Volume 04

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2008.06.04 (03) [E]

Ha, a classic. I sing it for my little girl as well....
It is Westerlauwer Frisian

Suze nane poppe
kealtsje leit yn'e groppe [ I replace "kealtsje" by my daugther's name, as
is usual in my family, I have also heard "berntsje" = little child here]
Heit en mem sa fier fan hûs,
kin se net beroppe.

"suze" and "nane" are sort of czy, comforting words for children
poppe = baby
kealtsje = little calf (but see remarks; here the asker seems to recall this
version)
leit yn 'e groppe = lies in the ditch [can be part of a stable as well ]
Heit en mem sa fier fan hûs = father and mother so far from home
Kin se net beroppe = cannot reach them by calling out.
[it is kind of sad, as is the melody ]

Regards,

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Ingmar,

This song and other variants in Frisian, Low Saxon and Dutch dialects of the
Netherlands are listed here, many of them with audio clips from the mid-20th
century:

http://tinyurl.com/67tb96

A Dutch version begins like this:

Suse naane poppe
Kindje ligt in de groppe

As for the other lullaby, "Suze naanje, ik waaige die" being one of the
versions, I once, a long time ago, came across a version in a Northern Low
Saxon dialect of Germany, but I don't remember where. It may have been in
some book. Does anyone know it? But maybe it was in a Low Saxon dialect of
the Netherlands and my border-ignoring mind is playing tricks on me again.