LL-L "What does it mean?" 2008.06.06 (08) [E]

Sat Jun 7 04:59:56 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 June 2008 - Volume 08
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: What does it mean?

Folks,

Most of you will remember the Middle Saxon expression our Jonny posted the
other day.

In the meantime I located it on page 16 of the following book, a collection
of documents from Lübeck's Hanseatic era: *1461-1465*, vol. 10 of *Lübeckisches
Urkundenbuch*; part 1 of Codex diplomaticus lubecensis, Urkundenbuch der
Stadt Lübeck; Lübeck: Edmund Schmersahl Nachf., 1898.

Hopefully, the context of the entire letter in which it appears will allow
us to tell what exactly it means. It seems to have helped me, but I let you
be the judges of that.

The German introduction:
Ein Ungenannter bittet den Rath von Lübeck, die Kaufleute zu warnen, da er
sich an dem König von Dänemark rächen wolle. 1461. Feb. 21

My translation:
An unidentified person is asking the (City) Council of Lübeck to warn the
merchants, because he wants to take revenge on the King of Denmark. Feb. 21,
1461

The Middle Saxon text:

Cover:
*Den vorsichtigen wolwisen borgermesteren vnde radtmannen der stat Lubek
detur hec.*

Body:
*Mynen wilghen steden ghehorsam vnderdanyghen denst nw vnde alle weghe
stedes touoren.
     Ersamen leffuen heren. So do ich jw fruntliken to weten, dat my de
koningh van Dannemarken groten schaden hefft ghedan vnde hefft my
vordarffuet bet an de grvnt. Vnde dat wolde ich gerne an em wreken, offte
ich konde etc. Vortmer do ich jw to weten, dat ich vppe den samer werde my
maken in de see, vnde vmme des willen warnet juwen koppman, dat se nyn gut
schepen vppe de vynde boddeme edder och nyn schipper neme nyn gut vppe syne
boddeme, dat in de rike to hus hort, wente vynde boddeme maket vynde gut
vnde vynde gut maket vynde boddeme. Ersamen leuen heren. Darvmme so do ich
jw warnynghe, dat ich node jw edder den juwen nynen schaden wolde don. Juwe
ersamycheyde do ich beuelen Gode deme almechtigen.
*
*     Gescreuen to Rugewolt, an Vnser vrouwen dage to Lichtmissen, anno
Domini etc. LXI°.
*
My (fairly literal) translation:

Cover:
*Detur hec*, to the assiduous, judicious Mayor and Councilmen of the City of
Lübeck

Body:
First and foremost (I offer) my eager, humble service now, always and
everywhere.
     Dear, honourable gentlemen, I herewith have you kindly know that the
King of Denmark hath caused me great damage and hath ruined me ("to the
ground" =) thoroughly. And for this I desire to retaliate against him if I
can etc. Furthermore I have you know that this summer (?) I shall set out to
sea. For this reason (please) warn your merchants that they not ship (any) (
*gut *=  goods =) merchandise upon (*vynde boddeme* =) (the) enemy('s)
waters or likewise no skipper taketh merchandise upon his waters that are
owned by the realm, for (*vynde boddeme maket vynde gut vnde vynde gut maket
vynde boddeme* =) enemy's waters make enemy's merchandise and enemy's
merchandise maketh enemy's waters(?).
     Dear, honourable gentlemen, therefore I give you herewith forewarning,
for I desire not to cause you or yours harm. I command your respectability
to God the Almighty.
     Written at Rugewolt* on Our Lady's day of Candlemass, *anno Domini *etc.
LXI°.

* [Low Saxon *Rügenwoold*, German *Rügenwalde*, Kashubian *Dirlowò*, Polish
*Darłowo*; in Kashubia, Poland, once under Hanseatic and Danish rule; full
name: *Królewskie Miasto Darłowo
* (The Royal City of Darłowo)]

Suggestions and comments would be welcome.