LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.19 (02) [E]

Thu Jun 19 16:00:36 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 19 June 2008 - Volume 02

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.06.15 (04) [D/E]

Dear Ron, Denis and the rest,

Ron wrote:

> All of these phrases belong to the large category of euphemisms. Euphemisms
> can be single words or whole phrases. They are a type of "doublespeak."
> These particular types belong to the narrower category of indirections, i.e.
> indirect references to something that for some reason or other ought not be
> said. Furthermore, they are of the jocular and nonsensical types. It's not
> actually a case of hidden meaning, since people know what the meaning is.

In the 1920's my father had a Chinese roommate, who was invited to dinner by
some very wealthy folks. Dad and other students gave him a quickie course on
American etiquette, such as "If they ask you if you wish to wash your hands,
it's an opportunity to relieve yourself." What they forgot to mention was
that Americans expected guests to be on time, never very early or late.

He arrived almost an hour early, to find the hostess in the midst of
preparations and the host not yet home from work, She dispatched him to
amuse himself in their extremely fancy, ornamental garden. When she called
him in and asked if he would like to "wash his hands," he replied, "Oh, no
thank you, madame, I already took care of that in the garden.

One evening in the 50s, with only a smattering of French, I found myself in
a Montreal home and had to relieve myself. When I asked for the "bain," a
big family discussion ensued, none of which was understood by me. Finally
they ushered me into a small room with a bathtub and a washbowl, only.

As ever,

Jorge Potter