LL-L "Names" 2008.06.20 (03) [E]

Fri Jun 20 17:17:14 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2008.06.19 (01) [E]

Elsie said: "Ron, I appreciate you writing 'US Americans'."

Yes, I try to stay sensitive to folks from Latin America when I participate
in forums or chats in Spanish that involve people from Spanish speaking
America.  When they ask where I come from I say that I am an
"estadounidense" (united-stateser)  They always laugh or joke with me for
using that word.  I think it sounds kind of pretentious and they usually
seem surprised (pleasantly) by it.  The word that they use is generally
"americano" or "norteamericano".  Norteamericano (North American) doesn't
quite do it either, because that includes Canadians, Mexicans, and US
Americans which they mean to include only the US variety.  That's why I
think estadounidense works pretty well.  However, technically that could
apply to Mexicans as well.  What's a guy to do?

Mark Brooks