LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.06.20 (03) [E/LS]

Fri Jun 20 16:06:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 20 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.06.19 (06) [E]

From: From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

> Subject: Language varieties
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
>
> Below is a link to a video recording of a German TV documentary about
> agricultural challenges and flood defenses. The two men in it speak Eastern
> Friesland Low Saxon, and there are German subtitles.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4vxjpt
>
> This offers you a chance to listen to genuine, old-time, natively spoken
> Low Saxon of that region, specifically near Emden and the border with
> Groningen. These may be members of the last generation of speakers of such
> varieties with litte German influence. Those varieties have East Frisian
> substrata. The phonology is considerably different from "mainstream"
> Northern Low Saxon of Germany, is closer to Groningen varieties west of the
> Netherlands-German border. For one thing, they are rhotic (i.e. "pronounce
> final /r/"), though varieties spoken farther east in Eastern Friesland are
> non-rhotic.
>
> For speakers of other Low Saxon varieties of Germany, the gentleman in the
> boat is fairly easy to understand, while the other gentleman, the one doing
> most of the talking, is quite difficult to understand (certainly without the
> subtitles), in part because he speaks to fast.
>
>  Wo du dor vun schriffst: Op de plattdüütsche Wikipedia sammel ik
Websteden, op de sik een Plattdüütsch anhöörn kann: <
http://nds.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Platt_anh%C3%B6%C3%B6rn> (is dat
Tofall, dat du hier vun dit Video schriffst? Is jüst twee Daag her, dat ik
dat Video in de List indragen harr). Blot een Dialekt fehlt mi dor noch
kumplett: Märkisch/Brannenborgsch. Op all de groten Videosieden (YouTube,
Myvideo, Clipfish un wat dat allens geven mag...): nix. Sogor op de Websteed
to dat "Lautdenkmal reichsdeutscher Mundarten", de allerhand Dialekten hett,
fehlt jüst dat Brannenborgsche kumplett. Nich een enkelt Woord
Brannenborgsch kunn ik op't Internett finnen. Rein gor nix.
Hett dor villicht een en Tipp, wo ik wat finnen kann?

Marcus Buck

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dat was heel un deel Tofall, Marcus.

I get a message that access is denied to "your country" when I click on this
link: Herbstlied<http://www.clipfish.de/player.php?videoid=NzQzOTk5fDEzMjQwNDU%3D>

Noch wat:
Dat Leed "De Moel" is vun Klaus Groth (http://lowlands-l.net/groth/moel.htm),
man Hannes Wader hett de Musik schräven.
De Schakel na Karl-Heinz Groth sien Vertellen is dood.

Well, Marcus, and as for the songs from Schleswig/Sleswig/Slesvig, does this
mean that Low Saxon *is* still used on Danish soil? I have written to the
owner of that Danish site to tell him that Low Saxon is not a "German
language type" as it is called there.

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

 Beste Lowlanners, Ron,

Ron sent this link:

http://tinyurl.com/4vxjpt

and wrote:

> For speakers of other Low Saxon varieties of Germany, the gentleman in the
boat is fairly easy to understand, while the other gentleman, the > one
doing most of the talking, is quite difficult to understand (certainly
without the subtitles), in part because he speaks to fast.

I fully agree, though I am (was?) quite familiar with his dialect. But I
fear I even won't understand him if he would speak Standard German in the
same 'quality' ;-) It's not only his speed that makes him nearly unreadable
but also his nasty habit to speak without any interruption ('ohne Punkt und
Komma'). I remember some people in our region doing the same (today fewer
than in my youth), and they mostly had had bad language education, both by
their parents as well as by school. And one more reason: due to their place
of work many of them havn't got much opportunity to speak, such as a tractor
driver etc.; hence they don't get much communicational feedback from other
people throughout their lives.

Regarding the speed (we've had this thread some years ago, as far as I
remember) it seems to me that there can be determined a West-East incline in
the LS-areas; e.g. Dutch people speak faster than (North-)Western Germans,
and our Easterners in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern slower than the people from
Hamburg (though 'Hamburger Reesbüdels' [= 'a sack which is talking
volubly'] are proverbial- attendants explicitly excluded *s*).

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm