LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.20 (05) [E]

Sat Jun 21 05:51:12 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 June 2008 - Volume 05

From: Thomas Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.20 (04) [E]

OK how's about the simple "History, Culture,  & Traditions" ?
On 21/06/2008, at 4:24 AM, R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

The title Theo, Paul and I are talking about is for the folk traditions
project. Not all folk traditions involve language, at least not directly.
Included is material culture, beliefs and rituals, such as visual arts,
crafts, celebrations, beliefs, customs, tools, architecture, clothing,
games, etc., aside from sayings, rhymes, songs, stories, and other types of
oral traditions.

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
An honest man's the noblest work of God
Robert Burns

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lowlands-L "Projects" 2008.20.06

Hi Lowlanders,

I only now got round to looking at the background page for the new "History"
project, aka "Water under the Bridge", or "Look at What they Left us in" or
"A Sluice of Life".
Joking aside, I was really moved by Ron's artistry and with the loving care
he put into the text and illustrations. It conveys a true richness of
heritage, a colourful pageant of unique lowlands history. Very inspiring.
Thanks, Ron.

mvg,

Arthur

ARTHUR A. JONES

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

Thanks, Tom and Arthur.

Thanks also for the compliments, Arthur, which I return with respect to your
contribution at the new history site (http://lowlands-l.net/history/).

OK, I suspect some of you out there are confused. So please listen carefully
this time, boys and girls!

There are *TWO (2)* new presentations in the making.

The first is already accessible, well connected and receptive:

*Water under The Bridge*
Things past but not forgotten—
History of the Lowlands worldwide
http://lowlands-l.net/history/

This is a done deal and is solely devoted to *history*, though much of it
does and will overlap and will be cross-posted with works displayed in the
Gallery and in the Travel Guide.

Please read the introduction and the submissions page to get ideas.

The *following, separate *presentation will be devoted to *folk traditions*.
It is not yet accessible but should be shortly. I have begun putting it
together, and it will be most beauteous to behold, if I may say so myself
;-) , with an antique, folksy and somewhat whimsical twist on the same basic
design of the entire series.

I have already finished the top banner:

*Things They Left Us*
Folk traditions of the Lowlands worldwide

I will tell you when the doors are open to this one. You may already begin
sending in submissions for this one, anything from short paragraphs to *bona
fide *journal article. Suitable topics include the following, all with the
word "traditional" in front of them:

   - holidays, festivals and rituals
   - customs
   - taboos
   - architecture
   - foods
   - superstitions
   - sayings, proverbs, aphorisms
   - farmers' wisdom
   - divining, healing, soothsaying
   - color, plant and animal symbolisms
   - music, musical instruments, song, dance
   - arts, crafts, tools
   - costumes, fabrics, needle work, etc.

And this is merely a selection off the top of my head. Written material may
include personal memories and the like. Local, regional, national ... they
are all of interest. You don't need to limit this to your own traditions but
may present accounts of your encounters with other Lowlands-related
traditions. Besides written material you may send in lists, facsimiles,
photographs, maps, drawings, paintings, audio files, sheet music and video
clips -- all as long as there are no copyright problems. You retain
copyright to your own works, merely give us permission to display them.

Now that sounds really exciting, doesn't it? I know that many of you are
into this sort of thing. We've already discussed lots of these things over
the years.

So get cracking, dear people!

Thanks!