LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.20 (06) [E]

Sat Jun 21 05:53:38 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 June 2008 - Volume 06

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.20 (01) [E]

Mike's post reminds me of another euphemism in English for "toilet": the
necessary.

Kevin Caldwell

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.18 (03) [E]

PS Here in Bombay, one almost always sees some expression about "doing the
needful" at the end of letters (usually directing you the reader of the
letter to take the appropriate actition). Some non-Indian English speakers
find this expression quite "cute"; I always have a problem with it (and when
i use it "I will do the needful" i am ALWAYS a being at least a bit
sarcastic ... though that is probably lost on the recipient).

Anyway, Russian for "doing one's business" is :

идти по нужде /idti po nuZde/ to go according to need = go to the toilet
 So maybe next time I