LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.21 (01) [E]

Sat Jun 21 17:37:51 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 June 2008 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

Dear Lowlanders,

Last night I wrote about the up-and-coming project:

*Things They Left Us*
Folk traditions of the Lowlands worldwide

I will tell you when the doors are open to this one. You may already begin
sending in submissions for this one, anything from short paragraphs to *bona
fide *journal article. Suitable topics include the following, all with the
word "traditional" in front of them:

   - holidays, festivals and rituals
   - customs
   - taboos
   - architecture
   - foods
   - superstitions
   - sayings, proverbs, aphorisms
   - farmers' wisdom
   - divining, healing, soothsaying
   - color, plant and animal symbolisms
   - music, musical instruments, song, dance
   - arts, crafts, tools
   - costumes, fabrics, needle work, etc.

And this is merely a selection off the top of my head. Written material may
include personal memories and the like. Local, regional, national ... they
are all of interest. You don't need to limit this to your own traditions but
may present accounts of your encounters with other Lowlands-related
traditions. Besides written material you may send in lists, facsimiles,
photographs, maps, drawings, paintings, audio files, sheet music and video
clips -- all as long as there are no copyright problems. You retain
copyright to your own works, merely give us permission to display them.

And silly me forgot to mention an important category:

   - *tales, fables. legends*

Don't forget about two types of these: bedside stories and spooky stories.
These are very popular, meaning that people out there look for them to put
their kids to sleep or to scare them.

And as a part of "myths" if you will:

   - *mythical figures*

And last but most likely not least, another important category we have
discussed many times:

   - *games*

This is assuming they are traditional rather than newly invented.

I am likely to think of more categories along the way, and so are all of
you. If your cultures are Lowlands-derived, just cast your minds back to
your childhoods.

If it goes the way I hope it will, this will be a popular series of
presentations.