LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.21 (06) [E/LS/German]

Sun Jun 22 01:02:26 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 21 June 2008 - Volume 06

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.21 (04) [E]

At 06:35 PM 21/06/2008, Roger Thijs wrote:

In my Limburgish we say "*noa het heske gon*" (go to the little house) for
going to the lavatory.
Formerly the lavatory was a little house, separated from the main building,
not heated, with just a round hole in a board, covering the pit.
Traditionally a little hart was cut-out in the door, so one could have some
contact from the outside with the person inside. The expression survived,
without people realizing the historical etymology.

"In the summer fifty yards too close, and in the winter fifty yards too far
away."

 One of my TV favorites is the Swedish TV film "Kunglig Toalette"
(http://www.filmpunkten.se/kunglig-toalette.asp).
It is about the preparation of a king's visit to a small town. The visit
includes a tour in a plant, where one thinks one has to construct a lavatory
consistent with a supposed protocol. The leftists are against and use the
term "*shithus".* We also have that term "*sjèèthoës*" (Dutch:
schijthuis), but it is very vulgar.
(In my Liburgish: "hoës" (sleeptoon), plural "hais" (stoottoon), diminutive
"heske")

There's a North American (at least) expression about particularly well built
and solid structures of which it is said:  "Built like a brick shithouse."

When I was an undergraduate living in a dorm where we were supposed to speak
German, there was a poem on the bathroom door, which went:

In diesem Haus da wohnt ein Geist
Wer länger als zehn Minuten scheißt
Den unten in den Säckel beißt
Zehn Minuten wird schon geschissen,
Wer länger bleibt wird rausgeschmissen.

This was also translated into five or six other languages.  Hey, Ron, maybe
this could be a project to translate this into all the Lowlands languages!
Maybe I could get some oak clusters to go with my Golden Squirrel.

Ed Alexander

----------

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.21 (05) [LS]

Hey,

22.06.2008 klok 00:35 schraif Roger Thijs:

> In my Limburgish we say "noa het heske gon" (go to the little house) for
> going to the lavatory.

Dat gült auk for't Westfialske. In'm Usembrügger Lant (region of Osnabrück)
is dat
"nau'n hüüsken gaun", bi manslüüe [men] langede auk meerstiids "de
piss-oort". En bietken fiiner is "af-oort" or'r de beröumte "fruu Meggern"
[Mrs. Meyer]. Man dat setde al voruut, dat de buuren söckes hat hewwet, wat
je nich jümmers giewen was...

De groute Westfialsk-schriiwer Lyra berichtede (1844) van eene begiewenheet,
as he met siin'n Vaader - en pastoor up'm lande -  nau'n stierwenskranken
buuren metgaun was:

------------------------------
Mi kwam wat an [something came over me] un ick fröög de Aulsken [squaw, the
peasent's wife], waar de Fruu Meggern wööre, dann sau hedde de Afoort in
uusen Huuse; dat verstönd se anteerste nich, man as'k't eer düütlicker
maakede [after making it clearer], siä se [she said]: Met söcke
Wiitlöftigheeden hält de Buur sick nich up, de dooet söckes wat alltiidt uut
friier Hand uäwer de Hacken weg [over the heels], un wi bringet 't meestig
achter 't Backs  [bakery house] an de Müüren, of tüsken de Fiikeshaunen
[broad beans - Vicia faba]; ick woll di den Weg wual wiisen, man ick rieke,
du schast 'ne alleine wual fiinen, dann 'r staaet Wegwiisers e noog langes
'n Haagen, dat du nich betwielen [lose the way - miss the path] kannst. Wann
du de Bücksen [trousers] wual [perhaps, in case] nich alleine wier to
kriigen kannst, dann kumm man wier na mi, dann will 'k se di faste wier
toknäupen.

(F. W. Lyra: Plattdeutsche Briefe, Erzählungen und Gedichte..., Osnabrück
1844)
------------------------------

==> Siit een paar daagen kan men dat bouk van F. W. Lyra - dank miiner
Digi-Book-Vadderscup (sponsorship) - "anner liine" liäsen [read online] or'r
runnerlaaen (man dat is in de originaale fraktuur-schrift):

http://gdz.sub.uni-goettingen.de/no_cache/dms/load/toc/?IDDOC=321236

Goutgaun!
joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

There's another word for "toilet" in Northern Low Saxon: *aftrit*
(*Aftritt*[ˈʔaftrɪt]), literally something like ""step-away"
("off-step").

Kumpelmenten,