LL-L "History" 2008.06.22 (03) [E]

Sun Jun 22 16:16:04 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 22 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Fred van Brederode <f.vanbrederode at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Projects" 2008.06.20 (04) [E]

Ron, you wrote:
I can see it as a "wise sayings" vignette on the index page of the history
project (http://lowlands-l.net/history/).

I followed the link and it brought me to Andrys Onsman's contribution to the
project: "In Jabik's Footsteps".

Andrys writes: "The path starts in St Jabik (called Sint Jacobiparochie in
Dutch), a small village in the far north in the semi-autonomous area called
Fryslân."

Fryslân (Friesland) semi autonomous? Since when? To my knowledge nothing in
this country has a different administrative status. There is the national
government (rijksoverheid), 12 provincial governments (Friesland is one of
those) and some 430 local authorities (gemeenten). All provincial
governments are bound by the same laws.

Very interesting contribution though. The pilgrimage to Santiago de
Compostella is done by quite a few people and not only for religious reasons
(sometimes not at all).

Groetjes, Fred