LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.22 (04) [E]

Sun Jun 22 16:22:19 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 22 June 2008 - Volume 04

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.20 (06) [E]

> From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.06.20 (01) [E]
> Mike's post reminds me of another euphemism in English for "toilet": the
necessary.

In my Limburgish we say "*noa het heske gon*" (go to the little house) for
going to the lavatory.
Formerly the lavatory was a little house, separated from the main building,
not heated, with just a round hole in a board, covering the
pit. Traditionally a little hart was cut-out in the door, so one could have
some contact from the outside with the person inside. The expression
survived, without people realizing the historical etymology.

In Westerlauwer Frisian the most common expression too is: "nei it húske
gean".
The toilet is still referred to as "it húske", almost universally, I would
say.
I've heard this on Heligoland as well, and it probably occurs in more
Frisian dialects in Germany as well.

Henno