LL-L "Morphology" 2008.06.27 (03) [E]

Fri Jun 27 14:16:32 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 27 June 2008 - Volume 03

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2008.06.26 (07) [E]

> From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
> Subject: æ
>
> Dear folks,
>
>   I still wander what the origin of the Jutnish definite article æ is.
> I've been studying Old Norse declesions and I've found nothing about this
> word form. Where did they get that word from?
>
>   Thank you so much 4 your patience.
>
>      Ívison.

To my knowledge it is of the same origin as the definite suffix in the
rest of North Germanic. The only difference is that the areal
influence of West Germanic (specifically Low Saxon and Frisian)
resulted in it being preposed rather than postposed during the period
where it was still an independent word (and thus it never ended up
becoming a suffix or postclitic).