LL-L "History" 2008.03.02 (01) [D/E]

Sun Mar 2 16:07:18 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 02 March 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2008.02.29 (08) [E]

 >> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
>> Subject: LL-L "History" 2008.02.28 (01) [E]
>> I'm still packing out after my move from the Antwerp to the Brussels
area.
   If I happen to find more, I will post it in the coming days.
> Some real pictures from the Antwerp house of the Hanse:
> 1861 http://www.euro-support.be/temp/fotant1.jpg
> 1875 http://www.euro-support.be/temp/fotant2.jpg
> and comments http://www.euro-support.be/temp/fotant3.jpg

I found 2 other fotos in
Antwerpen voor de lens, een greep uit de fotoverzameling van het MAS
(exhibition in the Hessenhuis from Oct 15 - till Nov 2005)
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant7.jpg*
p 60, by Hugo Piéron-Loodts, undated but apparently with the inner court
covered (after 1884)
cf http://www.euro-support.be/temp/fotant3.jpg
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant8.jpg*
p 61, by Hugo Piéron-Loodts 1876

Position of the Hanzehuis (nr 14) on an old map (West is on top)
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant1.jpg*
The canals ("*vlieten*" are there) but the *bassins* West and East (Top and
Bottom on the map) not yet.
The caption for *nr 14* on the map is "*Der Oosterlingenhuys*".
(I don't understand why it is apparently masculin)
The map from 1566-1566 is by Pauwels van Overbeke
scanned from p. 78 in:
Rutger Tijs, Antwerpen, atlas van een stad in ontwikkeling, 2007, Lannoo,
Tielt

Similarily in the same book:
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant4.jpg*
dates from 1565 (anonymous, but after a design by Virgilius Bononensis,
Antwerp, Plantin Moretus Museum)
In the book p. 54-57 and 59-62

One recognises also the house on a picture dating from the secession war
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant5.jpg*
I included the text in the scan.

In the same book p. 190-191 a fragment from a painting by Lucas van Uden
(first half of 17th century) of the area in front of the Hanzehouse. The
painting is in the Antwerp "Museum voor schone kunsten".
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant2.jpg*

The paper wrap around this book gives an excerpt from a panoramic view. One
recognizes the Hanzehouse at the backside of the book.
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant3.jpg*
A more complete version is on p2+3+4+5+6+7 in the book. The part we scanned
is also on p.3
Aquarel/pendrawing by Hans Bol dates from ca 1570-1575 and is conserved in
Bremen in the Kunsthalle.

One more modern maps:
1805 (by Ambroise Tardieu)
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/ant6.jpg*
between the *2 (new) bassins*, later the *Bonaparte dok and the Willemdok*

On the place of the former Hanzebuilding the MAS (Museum aan de Stroom =
National Maritime Museum) is being constructed.
http://www.mas.be/
I think the picture is live when you open the page / at the bottom right you
can get repetitive live refreshments in a window..
The National Maritime Museum is momentarily still in the "Steen"
http://www.antwerpen.be/smartsite.dws?ch=BEN&id=19436&rec=5064
The Steen is though is much too small for the maritime collection, and, due
to small turning stairs inside, inaccessible for handicapped people.

See also http://www.eilandje.be/ (a restauration and area saving project)
with map http://www.eilandje.be/stratenplan/index.htm
The Hanze building was mid between the Willemdok and the Bonapartedok
(before the 2 "bassins")
On the top left, corner of Montevideostraat and Rijnkaai (Northern part of
the Rijnkaai starting from the Montevideo straat) were the buildings of the
*Red Star line*, an important emigration line to North America. Cf.
http://www.redstarline.be/

Other URLs:
The port of Antwerp is at: http://www.portofantwerp.com/asp/start_pagina.asp
      New site in prep http://www.portofantwerp.be/
The municipality of Antwerp is at: http://www.antwerpen.be
The province of Antwerp: http://www.provant.be/

Also over land to the Baltic:

I think we discussed the "Teuten" (travelling salesmen from Lommel)
earlier regarding their relation to the Rineland. They also had a line over
land to the Baltic (16th till beginning of 20th century):
cf cover of a book about it
*http://www.euro-support.be/temp/baltic.jpg*
published in 2004 by the Dexia bank, 176 pp

Regards,
Roger