LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.02 (04) [E/German]

Sun Mar 2 20:07:14 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 01 March 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L Etymology

Hi all,

Jorge Potter wrote on Friday:

> I could go on forever, imagining what every name means…but, is it
> possible that any of you would be moved to explain online what your
> names really mean?

Sure, as you all know my name is Hülsey and I have had Turkish people
asking me if it was a Turkish name.

No, it isn't, it's plain Lowlands:

Hülse is the Low Saxon word for the plant Ilex aquifolium (G:
Europäische/Gemeine Stechpalme, E: European Holly, D: Hulst), and the
-ey part seems to denote a hill.

In Westphalia and all of Northern Germany, you find lots of people who
have names with Hüls, like Hülsmann, Hülshoff, Hülsebusch etc., I
actually went to school in Marl-Hüls. Hülsey is less common, nearly all
of us have lived in two counties in Eastern Westphalia at least since
the 30-year war: my father's people in the Kreis Gütersloh, and there's
another branch in the Kreis Steinfurt. We don't know the Steinfurt
people though, it's still a tiny world in those parts ;-)

I have become very interested in onomastics and genealogy lately, here
are a few links some of you might like:

the Mormons' site (they claim to have a billion persons' data):
http://www.familysearch.org/

geographical distribution of family names in Germany:
http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/v3/

the same for the US:
http://www.gens-us.net/

the link page of a linguistic professor at Leipzig University (in German):
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/~onoma/onomastik/<http://www.uni-leipzig.de/%7Eonoma/onomastik/>

Regards from Cologne,
Felix

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.02 (03) [D/E]

as for Slavic (and Baltic) fish names, including our beloved
"weatherfish" (piskorz / pískoř), an interesting article can be
accessed / downloaded at:

http://www.leidykla.vu.lt/inetleid/baltistic/39_1/straipsniai/str9.pdf

AND, for the Baltically-challenged, it is NOT even in Lithuanian (ah,
shucks! ... you were hoping what? Old Prussian?!) ... just plain-old
English.

Mike Morgan

--
MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक