LL-L "Architecture" 2008.03.05 (01) [E]

Wed Mar 5 16:26:53 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 05 March 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture" 2008.03.04 (07) [E]

just for the record, are those corbie things you guys are talking about what
we call in Dutch "trapgevels"?
gr,
Diederik

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Artchitecture

I believe so, Diederik.

I think their called *trappengevels* (*Trappengävels*) in Low Saxon and *
Treppengiebel* in German, meaning "stair/step gavels." German
*Katzentreppe*and Low Saxon
*kattentrap* (*Kattentrapp*) are alternatives, meaning "cat stairs." In
German you can also say *Staffelgiebel* or *Stufengiebel*, thus referring to
the steps.

Visual examples are here:
http://eng.archinform.net/stich/2505.htm
http://www.friedrichstadt.de/portrait/portrait_stadtrundgangseite.php

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Architecture" 2008.03.04 (06) [E]

Hi all,

Pat, it might interest you that we have a few corbel houses in the Northern
Cape (Carnarvon), which were probably built in the 1800s by trekboers.

I have visited a dilapidated one in 1973. Since then most have been restored
and are tourist attractions. See:

*www.bostoe.co.za/stuurmansfontein.htm*<http://www.bostoe.co.za/stuurmansfontein.htm>

http://www.visi.co.za/FrontEnd/InsideAndLifestyle.aspx?NewsID=43&CatID=13&ImgID=112

http://www.northerncape.org.za/getting_around/towns/Carnarvon/

My dad was born and lived in an adobe-type house near the town of
Brandvlei in this region. The house was built with 'bricks' of mud
and chaff. Ceilings consisted of packed reeds and the floors were made from
a mixture of manure and water. The front door and small windows consisted of
wooden boards or shutters. This structure still stood in the '70s when my
uncle pushed it over after hardened mudblocks fell on his shade-seeking
sheep.

Regards,

Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>

From Heather Rendall

Sandy Fleming wrote: The stepped gables are crawsteps or corbiesteps in the
sense that craws (crows) and corbies use them as platforms.

In Sussex they are known as Dutch gables. And I think that is straight
'dutch' rather than a corruption of 'deutsch'. Anything foreign ( or
unsavoury!) tends to be entitled 'French'; and if not 'French',  then
'Dutch'.

But then the Sussex fisherfolk would have known this style of architecture
from their frequent visits to cross channel ports along the opposite coast.
So my guess is this style was known from the Low Countries and when copied,
was called Dutch Gabling.

Heather
PS But I prefer the corbiesteps - despite its shades of Hitchock's / du
Maurier's The Birds.