LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.13 (03) [E/German]

Thu Mar 13 19:26:55 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.12 (02) [E/German]

Jonny schreef:

> Tja- um _das_ zu verstehen, fehlen mir doch einfach die 'höheren
> Weihen' der Pferdezucht ;-)!

Dascha auch man bloß´n Beispiel. Brauchscha auch ganich
aus´nannerzuverposementiern.

> Allerbest und Dank!

Da nich für.

Hol Di fuchdig.
Utz H. Woltmann

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.13 (01) [A/D/E]

Luc Wrote:
"Helling" and "hellen" (to slope) are natively not Southern Dutch; Kiliaan
(16th c.) already labelled them as typically Holl., which stood for
"Hollandish"; so I don't think my family name (attested well before Kiliaan)
has any relation to a slope. Thanks for the hint though ;-) .

How would these words be in 'genuine' Brabantish then? I can't think of any
words with a similar meaning that sound more homely to me...

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

So I take it this *helling* and *hellen* are related to English "hill."

If so, perhaps the original meaning was less "slope" than "be elevated."