LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.13 (01) [A/D/E]

Thu Mar 13 16:53:40 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 13 March 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ingmar,

Je schreef:

In Brabantish, an umlauted genitive form with 'e' is likely, but not in
Western varieties of Dutch, like Flemish, Zeelandic, Hollandic, and even
Western Brabantish, there we'd expect unmuted 'a'. So in those areas, do
we find equivalents suchas "Hallinck", "Hallinckx", "Halling", "Hallings"?

Yes, Hallynck, Halling and Allinckx are presently all attested in the
western part of Belgium (especially around Ghent and Poperinge). But also
during the Middle Ages they were found in the West:

1191 Rengerus Hallinc (in Varsenare)
1296 Iehan Hallinc (in Calais)

Density of the name (West vs. East) seems skewed these days, but that can be
due to:

   - use of a synonym for the coin in the West: mijt
   - the expiration of a family name in a certain region (even though it
   may have been popular before)

According to what you wrote, it's "e" everywhere, so then wouldn't this
name being derived of Hello, Hild or especially Hellin be more likely?

I don't rule it out, but it's hard to compare probabilities in linguistic
matters :-D .
There's even a third possibility, Hellinckx as a derivation of the placename
"Hellingen", which is located in Herne (southern  Pajottenland). This would
also match the present day geographical distribution. Similarly, nearby
community "Elingen" has apparently also given rise to a family name
"Elinckx", which is also spread evenly around "Elingen".
German last name "Hellinger" is usually explained as a habitational name for
someone from a place called Helling or Hellingen (2 of them, both roughly 20
and 35 km west of Coburg).

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx