LL-L "Anniversary" 2008.03.21 (06) [E]

Fri Mar 21 17:16:15 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

There are just a few days left till the beginning of the month in which we
celebrate the 13th anniversary of Lowlands-L (April 15 - May 15).

The anniversary presentation (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) is still
our most popular site, and we have made a bit of progress lately. I ask you
to do your best to add to it either directly or by recruiting others
(non-members) to do so.

Our Mike Szelog has been at it persistently and has been on a role again
lately. Most recently he facilitated the addition of translations into three
Breton dialects and one into Guernsey Norman (French).

French and its close relatives within the northern Oïl range of Romance
languages is rather relevant to our focus, because they have been in direct
or indirect contact with Lowlands language varieties, Northern French,
Gallo, Norman, Picard, Champenois, Lorrain/Gaumais and Walloon with Low
Franconian, Channel Islands Norman with English, English and Scots were
practically transformed by medieval Norman influences, and Norman is still
used during certain royal events in Britain.

We have a French and Walloon translation, but no audio files to go with
them. Belgian French pronunciation would be just fine, even more relevant to
our focus, though it would be great to have a varietiy of pronunciations
(including "good" French of France). After all, we don't think of language
varieties in hierarchical terms. Besides, considering our focus, we
*should*have a translation into actual Belgian French.

So I suggest we all make an effort at that end. However, anything else would
be most gratefully received as well.

Please also consider furthering our aims at the other sites:

Gallery: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/
Travels: http://lowlands-l.net/travels/

Also, one of my Lowlands songs is still awaiting its music:
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands_mind.php

Here is the other one, which begs to be performed:
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands-song.php

Thanks and regards,