LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.21 (07) [E]

Fri Mar 21 23:36:25 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 21 March 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.03.21 (03) [E]

Beste Ron,

thanks for your answer!

> I know lurig as 'sultry', similar to bruddig
Could be G: 'drückend(e) [Luft]', and then it would be a small step to G:
'gedrückte(r) Stimmung (sein)'!?

> For 'sad', 'depressed', 'listless', etc., I know and use slurig, which in
some dialects and in some contexts can also mean either
> 'suspiciously' or 'slovenly' as an adverb.
Yes- there you are d'accord with GRIMM. I just knew it in the
'slovenly'-sense.

Allerbest and happy Easter!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Johny and Ron are having a conversation about LS lurig and slurig.

In Dutch we have the verb "loeren" with the meaning of "to peer" and "to
leer"

a "loerder" could be a "dimwit" and "Iemand een loer draaien" means "to play
a dirty trick on someone"

We have the word "sluier" for English "veil"

And then there is the word "turen" which means as much as "to stare intently
at something"

And finally "wispelturig", which means as much as "fickle" in English. Like
" Het weer in maart is wispelturig" Like the weather here in Seattle; warm
sunshine one moment and snowflakes the next.

Groetjes, Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Yes, Jacqueline, I think you're on the right track with *loeren*. It's also
found in *koekeloeren*, Low Saxon *kukeluren* 'to look on (secretely)',  'to
peer', 'to lurk', hence also *koekeloerer *~ *Kukelurer* for 'lurker' in the
world of e-mail lists.

I guess *loeren *and *luren *are related to German *lauern* in the same
sense. *Lurig* is then 'sneakily' or 'stealthily' or some such thing.

Of course, things can vary a lot between dialects.

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> yesterday evening I learned (once again ;-)) a nice new word which I
suppose to be of Low Saxon or Low Franconian origin: _lurig_ in the sense of
E: 'being in low spirits'; G: 'niedergeschlagen', 'maddelig'...
> It was used by a friend of mine who is a bit capable of Low Saxon but has
spent the greater part of his life in the Westphalian area (city of
Dortmund).
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> I wonder if someone confused lurig and slurig.
Glööv ik nich. Ünner <
http://www.reichshof-westhofen.de/sup_peiter_maerker.html> heff ik dit
funnen:
*Kum viertiehn Dage ächter däm värigen Owend, do sturw am 7. Mäte 1953 im
Oller van 44 Johr dä Nober Walter Ganz. Hä hadde hier dä Fier noch metmaket
un sat do am Disch. Ower hä was an düisem Dage schon lurig un fit mä sau
opgelagt as frögger.*

Etymologie kann ik aver ok nix to seggen.

Marcus Buck