LL-L "Resources" 2008.03.22 (06) [E]

Sat Mar 22 19:12:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 22 March 2008 - Volume 06
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2008.03.21 (09) [E]

Beste Ron, Lowlanners,

having been inspired by the discussion around "gender and politeness" I
should like to suggest perhaps to add a new rubric into the
Anniversary-sites dealing with matters like 'False Friends', "Words To
Avoid", "Words To Confuse" etc.
I could imagine a good result hence because most of our members are schooled
in more than the two "obligatory' languages.

What's your opinion?

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Thanks, Jonny.

Personally, I think that's a terrific idea and very much *à propos*, too.

Let's see what others think and if they are willing to participate.

I'd suggest a special site for such "language sundries" where the mentioned
topics are subcategories.

We could do with suggestions for a collective title. It should capture the
overall idea of comparison of closely related languages, of looking across
the fence and chatting with our neighbors.

Thanks again for thinking beyond the pale*, Jonny!

* In this idiomatic phrase, "pale" in the sense of "fence post" (probably
related to Low Saxon *paal*) is indeed *à propos*. Don't you think? (I used
to think it was spelled "pail" here? ;-) )

Soooo ... How about the overall title "Beyond the Pale"?! Huh?! In my
opinion it captures the above-mentioned as well as the idea of "outside the
conventional/permissible."