LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.24 (05) [E]

Mon Mar 24 20:00:23 UTC 2008

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.23 (06) [E]

Hi all

Sandy, you don't mean Folk Etymology?

I think when people start off to learn a new language (including sign
language), they tend to use these in-between forms (often descriptive) until
the etymology is
fully understood.

A few in Afrikaans (after exposure to English) are:
eentjiebyter –incubator
bromkatjies – bronchitis

Elsie
From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language Learning"

As you will have noticed, sometimes the etymology of a word is so
self-evident that there can be no argument.

For example, the English word "parent" is obviously from "pay rent",
because that's what the parents do and the children don't have to.

As another example, the French "caoutchouc" reflects the fact that
French cows chew rubber, there can clearly be no better explanation.

Though maybe not related to true etymology, this sort of "amateur
etymology" (not that there aren't amateurs who are actually excellent
etymologists), does have its uses in language learning when it comes to
vocabulary building, as a temporary memory prop.

I'm wondering if there's a word or succint phrase expressing the idea of
"etymology deliberately made up as a memory aid in language-learning"?

I'm asking because, as I've mentioned before, this sort of thing is rife
amongst learners of sign languages and the boundary between fabricated
etymologies and true etymologies is much harder to discern than in
spoken languages. I would really like to have a term (or sign, rather,
but a spoken language term would be a good start), that I can use to
differentiate between real and imaginary etymology.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.23 (09) [E]

R/R wrote:
> I would simply call it "mnemonic device." That's what it is, isn't it?
> ... Whatever works goes.

Yes, agreed. But i think what Sandy was getting at was a bit different
than the "Every Good Boy Does Fine", "A Rat In Tom's House Might Eat
Tom's Ice Cream" sort of thing. It happens with learning and teaching
spoken / written languages as well, but with sign languages students
are ALWAYS asking about WHY a given sign means a given thing and are
coming up with such memory-aiding etymologies themselves ... OR being
supplied them by teachers (some of whom are in fact convinced that
they are true when in fact sometimes the historical record shows quite
clearly that they are not). I have been involved in teaching Japanese
Sign Language, American Sign language and now Indian Sign language,
and I have seen it happen frequently with them all. (On the other
hand, in teaching Russian off and on for some 15 plus years, NOBODY
ever asked me why жена zhena means "wife"; they just accepted it,
memorized it, and moved on.)

So yes, they are mnemonic devices, but of a particular kind ...
associated with etymology and what the ORIGIN of the sign was. Hence
my suggestion "mnemonic etymology" (on the model of "folk
etymology"?).