LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.28 (04) [E]

Fri Mar 28 20:02:41 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.25 (02) [E]

> From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
> Subject: LL-L "Current events" 2008.03.24 (11) [E]
>
> Hi all,
>
> Sandy, what about 'imagined etymology' rather than 'fantasy
> etymology'?
>
> I think that, to be able to learn a sign language, one needs a measure
> of imagining a concept and showing a sign to describe what
> one imagines, as you have explained with the moving mattress meaning
> sex (rather than many bed mites).
>
> One of the reasons for the recent translation of the Afrikaans Bible
> into Sign Language was that deaf people often had difficulty to
> understand concepts which they have not been exposed to or experienced
> and thus likely not able to imagine. I can imagine if someone has not
> seen a kangaroo in jumping mode it is going to be difficult to
> understand 'jumping kangaroo' as a signifier for 'Australia'.

Hardly, considering since signed languages are as good as, quite
possibly better than, spoken languages at describing visual ideas.

This sounds like the usual argument where hearing governments and
education boards insist on educating the Deaf through an inappropriate
language and then call it a Deaf problem when their Deaf pupils grow up
with a narrow experience of the world.

> From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.03.25 (02) [E]
>
> What about pseudo-etymology? Because it doubles up nicely as refering
> not just to the false origin but also the false workings out and
> application?

I'm inclined to go with this, since the element of "you could well be
wrong" is an important part of it!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/