LL-L "Words" 2008.03.29 (05) [E]

Sat Mar 29 23:10:40 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 29 March 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Words" 2008.03.29 (03) [E]

 Beste Reinhard,

Du schreyvst:

English "slave" and "Slav" are not pronounced alike. But Low Saxon
*Slaav'*denotes either. So it a word to confuse in Low Saxon then,
isn't it?

 *Scots*(1): inhabitants of Scotland
*Scots*(2): a language, 'Lowland Scots'
*Scots*(3): Scottish English
*Scots*(4): the Scottish Gaelic language

I say, "Nah!" (1) is a plural form. Gaelic is referred to as "Scots Gaelic,"
hardly as "Scots." And the confusion between Scots the language and Scottish
English has more to do with education and attitude. At least this is *my*take.
Well- you've probably noticed that I wanted having been put them under *'Words
to Confuse'*?!

Sorry, man, but *I* felt confused when I first had been confronted with the
correct definition of 'Scots' (The Language).

And the same with 'Slav' vs. 'slave'. Here I even remember *you*having
'gave' the correct explanations to any newbees on the list.

But (to avoid a tango with Sandy ;-)) I'd like to change the 'Scots'-thing:

 *Scots*(1): inhabitants (more than one) of Scotland
*Scots*(2): a language, 'Lowland Scots'
*Scots*(3): *not* Scottish English
*Scots*(4): *not* the Scottish Gaelic language

Better or confusing?

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Words

I like it better, Jonny, and will add it as soon as I get around to doing
so, unless someone objects.

I propose that (reasonable) responses may be added to individual's pages.
I've added my response to one of Mike's declarations (
http://lowlands-l.net/beyondthepale/love_snog.php) and will leave it there
unless he objects. I believe that this sort of thing is likely to get people
to think and learn.

I suppose I'll officially publish the new site around April 15, namely by
connecting to it from our other sites. In the meantime we ought to try to
"populate" all the pages.

Thanks and *kumpelmenten*, as always.