LL-L "Grammar" 2008.03.30 (07) [E]

Mon Mar 31 01:13:23 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.03.30 (03) [E]

In message
<57c981290803300953h66c0aacfpaf39a625d2e0ae7d at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> (i.e. Heather) writes
>Who was it who said in a poem something about "the rolling English
>cattle made the rolling English roads

Were you thinking of Chesterton:

Before the Roman came to Rye
And out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made
The rolling English road.

it ends
'For there is good news yet to hear
And fine things to be seen
Before we get to paradise
By way of Kensal Green'.

The whole poem is probably incomprehensible without footnotes.  Kensal
Green, for example, is a large cemetery.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>

In Irish, road is bothar, literally cow (bo) path (way). You go down
highways, though they may be in vallys - should they be lowways?!!! :-) and
we walk on cow-ways!!!

Tom Carty