LL-L "Sayings" 2008.03.30 (05) [E]

Mon Mar 31 22:33:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 31 March 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Sayings" 2008.03.30 (04) [D/E/German]

Dear Utz and fellow Lowlanders,

Sorry, I screwed up. I'm not yet used to my new Prisma Etymologisch
Woordenboek and was thinking in English
when I misread the abbreviation for "duits" as Dutch.

Jorge

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

No, there is no Dutch word "hunte(n)" or "hunt", that was just made up
wrongly to explain "Hunde" in this saying. So please forget about "Hunte"
everybody, it's not relevant. For "Klöppel" Dutch always uses "klepel".
I think the whole saying actually has nothing to do with Dutch at all,
other than just maybe that "bellen" means "to bark" in German and German
Low Saxon, but "bells" in Dutch. So if there were really Dutch speakers in
Buxtehude, they might have found it funny (confusing?) that German/Low
Saxon dogs "bellen", because in Dutch, their own language that would mean
those dogs were sounding the bells. From that, they could say: our
dogs "bellen" not with their mouths, but they sound the "bellen" with
their tails. Or something like that.

Groeten
Ingmar

From: Utz H. Woltmann <uwoltmann at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Sayings" 2008.03.30 (01) [D/E/German]

Ingmar Roerdinkholder wrote:

> I think it's just a mistake. They say: Da Glocke niederländisch "Hunte"
> hiess ...... läutet - oder nl "bellt".
> But "Glocke" are not "Hunte" in Dutch, but "bellen", which happens to
> mean "to bark" in German.
> The confusion must come from this:
> What are bells (G. Glocke) in Dutch? "bellen"; and what does a dog do in
> German? "bellen". And these bells were beaten by ropes, "dog tails" so to
> say.
> I wonder how that saying goes in Low Saxon, if the original isn't High
> German. That might tell us more about it. So is there a LS version?

Hello Ingmar,

In Low Saxon we say: "In Buxtu, wo de Hunnen mit'n Mors/Steert bellt".

But I found another explanation in Wikipedia:
"Bemerkenswert ist, dass in Buxtehude der Redensart zufolge die „Hunde
mit dem Schwanz bellen". Tatsächlich handelt es sich hierbei um einen
aus dem Niederländischen stammenden Ausspruch: „De Hunten bellen", was
soviel besagt wie „Die Glocken läuten". „Hunte" (niederdeutsch:
„Steert") ist eine Bezeichnung für den Klöppel der Glocke, „bellen"
heißt soviel wie Klingeln, Schellen, Läuten."
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buxtehude

But 'Klöppel' is in Dutch 'de klos' or 'de klepel', not 'hunte'.

Best regards
Utz H. Woltmann