LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.05.03 (03) [E]

Sat May 3 16:56:31 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

For speakers of German and Low Saxon that have a foundation in English it is
surprising to find certain Scots words that seem quite "Continental".

One example I can come up with right now is *owerset* for "translate." Cf.
German *übersetzen* (*übersetz-*), (Germany) Low Saxon *œversetten *(*
œverset-*, farwestern *vertaal-*), Danish *oversætte* (*oversæt-*),
Norwegian *oversette* (*overset-*), and Swedish *översätta* (*översät-*),
all* *with the same meaning. (This seems to be a widespread figure of
speech, considering also Russian *переводить*, Ukrainian *перекладати*,
Croatian *prevoditi*, Hungarian *elszállít* and *átszállít*, etc.)

Another example that I just stumbled across is Scots *yearhunner* for
"century." Cf. German *Jahrhundert*, (Germany) Low Saxon *Jahrhunnerd
*(farwestern
*Eeu*), Danish *århundrede*, Norwegian *århundre*, and Swedish *århundrade*,
all with the same meaning.

My basic question: Is there any historical justification, or have these
perhaps been made up, perhaps on the basis of other Germanic languages?

What about "to haul"? (~ Dutch "halen", German "holen")

"Haul down the flag" ~ neerhalen (D)
"Bruins fans haul in the prizes" ~ (b)in(nen) halen (D)
"It's time to haul out the snow boots" ~ uithalen (D)
"Naomi Campbell hauled off on someone again" ~ uithalen (D)
"Deep-Sea Explorers haul up $500 Million treasure" ~ ophalen (D)
"The Derby winner overhauled the rest of the field with remarkable ease" ~
inhalen (D), overtake (E)

"Halen" is a word that is frequently used and has a very general meaning in
Dutch (and in German), "to haul" on the other hand is much more specific,
and yet these combinations of "haul + preposition" have exactly the same
meaning both in (American) English and Dutch. Maybe in Scots too?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Any word for "to translate" and "a century" would have been considered a
"boekenwoord" by my (grand)parents. Could "owerset" and "yearhunner" be
creations of a "Spracharchitekt"?