LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.06 (01) [E]

Tue May 6 15:07:39 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 May 2008 - Volume 01

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.05 (01) [E]

Dear Heather,

you wrote:

> And we also use the stork image as baby deliverer on cards etc even tho'
storks do not favour > England with their presence - except perhaps
occasionally in East Anglia??? or am I imagining > that.

You're quite right- storks normally do not brood on the British islands.
That's interesting, and I wonder why.
[Perhaps they have done so before 1066, but then probably the population of
frogs got decimated ;-)...]

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Mari Sarv <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>

Dear all,
in Estonia the stork tradition is known as well, it may well be Saxon loan.
But moreover, the first component of the word stork "toonekurg" refers to
other world "Toonela".
Mari Sarv

----------

From: Mari Sarv <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.03 (02) [E]

Dear all again,
in Estonia it is common to call those prints also as "prints of stork's
beak" (kurenokajälg).
Mari Sarv

----------

From: G TIGHE <tighe at sympatico.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.05 (03) [E]

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.com<
> http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/MsgBody?d=tiscali.co.uk&contentSeed=1335d&u=heatherrendall&pct=d1971&l=en#
> >
> Subject: LL-L "Traditions"
>
> In English we don't find babies in the cabbage patch but "under the
> gooseberry bush"
>
> Or the doctor brings them in his bag

Hi:

My two younger sisters and I were brought to our Scottish home by the
Midwife, Nurse Forrest, in her 'Black Bag'.

You may guess how this effected my learning about 'The Birds and the Bees.'

Also: "Playing Gooseberry" is I think an English expression  about a third
person and a  pair of lovers.

Kind Regards

Gerald Tighe

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.05.05 (04) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Even though the stork is not carnivorous.........

Try telling some frogs, lizards and other birds' nestlings that! It's pretty
omnivorous actually. The Maribou stork in Africa even attacks and kills
flamingoes.

Paul

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>

Okay, I have a bit of problems reading the Tibetan (for some reason --
perhaps the instantiation of unicode i have installed? -- elements
that should be displayed stacked vertically show themselves lined up
horizontally! Annoying!) but the mention of bya-gtor (jator) or "sky
burial" among the Tibetans reminds of the problematic feature of local
culture here in Bombay (aka Mumbai).

As you may (or may not) know, we have the world's largest population
of Parsis (Zoroastrians), and unlike other Indians, since they
consider the fire too sacred to be defiled by corpses, they do not
cremate, but rather expose corpses in "Towers of Silence". In fact,
when I walk from my house here (in Mulund, one of Bombay's
northeasternmost suburbs) to the office (in Thane, technically the
next city), I pass right by one.

The problem (I said it was a problematic feature of local culture,
right?) is that proper disposal in the Towers of Silence require one
element that is required is threatened by the fact that Bombay is one
of the most polluted places in the world: vultures! Beautiful,
majestic birds! But I will have to say in the 5 plus months since
moving to Bombay, and in the 2 plus months since moving to Mulund and
walking past the local Tower, i have NEVER spotted hide nor feather of
a vulture. Okay, i know there aren't many remaining Parsis, and so
there may NOT be even one death a week, but I should have seen at
least ONE! My walking route takes me close enough to SEE the Tower,
but NOT close enough to SMELL it ... I wonder ...

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक || માઈક || ਮਾਈਕ
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director
Ishara Foundation
Mumbai (Bombay), India
++++++++++++++++
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.)
मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर
ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
++++++++++++++++
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士)
イシャラ基金の専務理事・事務局長
ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, everyone!

How nice to see Gerald and Mari make rare appearances!

Heather and Jonny, might it be that storks avoid flying across larger bodies
of water? Don't they commute between Europe and Africa via the Levant and
Egypt?

All right, all right, Paul. I guess what I had really had in mind was
"necrophagous."

Mike, I've been told that most Zoroastrians now practice burial and
cremation, that only a few Parsis still practice the old tradition. Birds
are not considered necessary, though expedient, while in Tibet they are and
monks hand-feed them while hacking up bodies. (I've witnessed it.)

(I know. Tibetan script still needs work in Unicode fonts. I have
Tibetan-specific fonts that stack just beautifully and automatically.)