LL-L "History" 2008.05.12 (03) [E/LS]

Tue May 13 03:28:48 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2008.05.11 (03) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

> Many of you will remember us mentioning Scottish (besides Dutch-speaking)
> immigration to Prussia. Some of you may be interested in
> ElectricScotlands.com's republished list of Scottish members of merchant
> guilds in Western and Eastern Prussia:
>
> http://www.electricscotland.com/history/prussia/part3-3.htm
>
> Only German place names are given in the list. Please find their
> Lithuanian (L.), Polish (P.) and Russian (R.) equivalents below (non-italic
> bold versions now being the official ones in English):
>
>  Fehlt blot noch de plattdüütschen Naams... Jüst in'n Oosten sünd de
intressant, denn dor sünd se man blot swoor ruttokriegen.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: History

Dat kanst wul seggen, Marcus. Un dat sünd tou meyrst ook heyl lütte
plakkens.

Man, as ik al seed', ...

By the way, I have an extensive list of Polish place names of Kashubia and
their Kashubian equivalents. Some of the Kashubian names are very different,
and many of them reveal Low Saxon origin, oftentimes with newer or
alternative variants that seem to show German pronunciation of such Low
Saxon names (e.g. *St...* > *Szt...*). Some of the Polish names may be of
more recent date owing to de-Germinization efforts.

Daar kanst 'n groot deyl naams mit rekonstrueyren un up dey wys' spouren
vinden.

Segt wy maal ...

Poolsch *Chełmki* heytt up Kaschuubsch *Sylwerbark *or *Sylwerbarch*, un
daar kanst goud un geyrn gissen, dat wy 't mit *Silverbarg tou doun hebt.

Noch 'n byspeel:

Poolsch *Dolina Radości* ("Daal vun vrayd'", HD *Tal der Freude *or*Freudental
*) heyt vroyer *Wesołowo* (wat ook wat mit vrayd' tou doun het), up
Kaschuubsch noch* *vundaag' *Frajndôl*, daar wegen sachs vun **Freindaal*(or *
*Freindal*) af-kamen. Den kanst daar na soyken. Wenn nich, den kyk in dey
Kaschubey na Duytsch **Freudenthal *or **Freudental*. *Dolina Radości*, *
Wesołowo* un * Frajndôl* vindst in dey Poolsche Wikipedia up-noymd. Un den
vünd ik annerwegens *Freudenthal* blangen *Frajndôl* up-noymd. Nu büst 'n
stük wyder un kanst tou mindst schryven: *Freindaal* (?).

Un noch eyn:

Poolsch *Drążkowo* heytt up Kaschuubsch *Nowy Dwór *("N(e)y Hov"
[N(i)ehoff]) un ook *Nyhof*, sachs vun **Niehoff* af-kamen.

Oh, and folks, I said that a large part of Kashubians was Protestant. I have
to retract this. It applies to the Pomeranians (= Kashubians) of Western
Pomerania, while the majority of Kashubians in Eastern Pomerania (in today's
Northern Poland) remained Roman Catholic. And this is only if you made
"Kashubian" and "Pomeranian" synonymous. Some would dispute this.
Kashubians, however, use the two interchangeably (*Kaszëbi* ~ *Pòmòrzónie*).

Kumpelmenten,