LL-L "Technica" 2008.05.15 (03) [E]

Thu May 15 17:27:23 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: Fonken, Gael M. [foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu]
Subject: technica-politica

For all who enjoy technical puzzles mixed in with language policy questions,

     I'm still working on getting my university in central Minnesota to
offer the heritage language fonts belonging to our recent immigrants as well
as the Native peoples in our (their) area (which is now ours).  It seems
that the technical staff here have never worked with downloaded fonts and
are bulking on their promise to provide these 'extra' fonts that are not a
part of the standard Windows package.  Could anyone give me some idea as to
*how much work* we're asking them to do?  We want to use these fonts in the
same manner that the standard font package is used—by selecting and placing
a particular alternate font as a choice located on the task bar menu. They
say this would take an extra "server," but what all does that mean? Is it
possible to integrate 'rare' fonts into a campus wide system… or not?

    We have a number of translators in our area who would like to use this
system (not to mention our resident language minority students), so it's
really not an exotic thing.  But we need to know if those who control the
system are resisting our request for real technical reasons or if they're
just not willing to stretch beyond English.  How best to deal with these
problems as they come up?  I feel like a little ole' lady talking to an auto
mechanic. I want to trust them…

perplexed,

Gael