LL-L "Semantics" 2008.05.16 (03) [E]

Sat May 17 03:25:42 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2008.05.16 (01) [E]

In my experience, these days when people are trying to sound really formal
they are just as likely to say "individual" as "man," "guy," or "gentleman"
(or "woman" or "lady"). So your example below might come out as, "I saw
those two individuals incessantly beating one another."  I especially hear
this usage on TV news, usually from police press spokesmen describing
something like a robbery or shooting.

Sometimes when I hear a woman strenuously object to being referred to as
"lady" by saying, "I'm not a lady!", what goes through my (occasionally
devious) mind is, "You can say that again!"

Kevin Caldwell
 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Semantics

Thanks a lot, guys!

Paul, your examples pretty much tally with the way they would be in US
American media reports. So we need to tweak the description to show that in
more formal (public report-style) statements "man" is still used in that
way. In a less formal (though not casual) style, "gentleman" tends to be the
choice now. This includes for instance members of the public being
interviewed in the media or by the police (e.g. "I saw those two gentlemen
incessantly beating another."). The feminine equivalent seems to be "woman".