LL-L "Language learning" 2008.05.17 (02) [E]

Sat May 17 16:18:12 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 May 2008 - Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.04.21 (04) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

I was away for a week some time ago and before I went I marked some
threads for answering, but haven't had time to actually go back and
answer them until now. I hope you don't mind me thawing out some of this
again, and I hope the interest is still there!

> From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.04.20 (08) [E]
>
> Sandy wrote: So what do you mean by "traceable historical descent"?
> Isn't brought > bought traceable? If it persists then in the future it
> will also have
> the necessary historical descent? How old does it have to be before
> your
> "school of thought" finds it venerable enough to be right rather than
> wrong?
>
> Traceable history = back into the mists of time
>
> new development = we have evidence of this starting or finishing from
> a specific date onwards : since when it has become the norm
>
> Very different concepts and brought/bought comes under the second
> heading and - if so wanted by the people who speak that language, it
> may then become part of the language but as a "new development" But it
> will be traceable back to a misunderstadning / mishearing /
> misapplying    Bring/brought is historical      bring / bought is a
> new development
>
> Bring/brought   buy/bought  can be traced back  as can an uncertainity
> about certain verb patterns: it's nothing new that people aren't sure
> what they are hearing the most.

Heather,

What you seem to me to be saying is that a construct is wrong if we can
trace it back in such a way to demonstrate that it arose from
uncertainty. And if we can't, then we just have to accept it as we can't
prove its guilt. Is that right?

But you also seem to be taking a prescriptivist approach here, as if, if
we can show that something was based on ignorance, then we need to
correct our speech.

But I think modern speech has plenty of things that we can show were
based on ignorance by, for example, examining the development of the
language through it's literature.

For example, words like "whence", "hence", "thence" and "whither",
"hither", "thither" have all, in the past couple of hundred years, been
invaded and exterminated by "where", "here" and "there".

Do you therefore think that modern speech needs to be corrected with the
older words? Just because the modern versions seem fine to us doesn't
mean they wouldn't have the gentlemen of a couple of centuries ago
tearing their hair out in exasperation at the speaker's ignorance.

In other words, I don't think defining traceable history as "back into
the mists of time" does anything to explain why some forms of modern
speech are considered unacceptable to some people. You need a better
definition, a more accurate way of deciding when a thing has gone so far
that we have to start teaching the ignorant forms.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/