LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.24 (01) [E]

Sat May 24 18:23:28 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 24 May 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.23 (06) [E]

 Dear Mike & Ron

Subject: LL-L "Anthropology"

Mike said:
Ron, just to let you know that there are at least 2 Lowlanders; Mark and
myself absolutely FASCINATED by this. I cannot wait for your (or someone
else's) answer and a possible ensuing discussion.

Seconded: Mark

Isn't it just like our Ron? He sadly confesses he has nothing more than the
fruit of general reading on any given subject (I'm afraid of testing his
limits) then proceeds to give you chapter & verse on the subject.

For my part all I can add is that the most recent MDNA & XYchromosome
typology tracing only goes to support the blood-typing research of the
previous generation & *venerable* report from the remote past that the
Basques are a unique people.

By the way, Ron isn't the word 'Gascon' related to the word 'Bascone'
through the Latin 'Vascones'? Could the Gascons be a Romance-assimilated arm
of the same nation?

Ron:
Genetic research has shown that there are indeed some genetic "Basque
features," namely the highest global incidence level of *Rh-* blood type and
virtually no *B* blood type. This is believed to be a result of early
isolation. However, DNA research shows that the Basque are otherwise
"typical" for West Europeans.

It seems to me, Ron, on the basis of this point that our Basques are an
isolated sample of the foundation population of Europe, subsequently
enriched in the more accessible areas by later invasions

Ron:
Looking at the case of Basque and at the cases of various other documented
peoples and languages of Iberia, I wish we had similar indications of what
people and languages there used to be in Northern Europe before the arrival
of the Indo-Europeans. All we find are bits of tools and pottery as well as
stone monuments and the widespread dolmens.

Hear, hear!

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anthropology

Thanks, Mark, as always, and hi to that Ruth of yours, as always!

I'm not sure if the names "Basque" (Spanish *vasco*) and "Gascon(e)" are
related, but I consider it likely, going back to what in Modern Basque is
the root *Euska-*, which may have begun with a consonant in earlier times,
perhaps with something like **gw-* (**gwaska- > ***γ**waska-** > ***γ**oska-
** > ***ə**oska-** > ***ə**uska-** > **e**uska-*), similar to what happened
in the case of Celts: "Gaelic", "Wales", "Welsh", *waals*, etc.

And, yes, Gascony (in France) used to be primarily Basque speaking, and its
present Romance language varieties have unmistakable Basque substrata. There
are no debates about that. There are still Basque speakers in Gascony, and
some of them are pretty actively carrying on the traditions and the language
despite France's usually less than supportive attitude when it comes to
linguistic diversity.

The Gascon city of Biarritz (Basque *Biarritz* ~ *Miarritze*) absorbed early
Scandinavian settlers (apparently not limited to Goths), although it has
been said, disputably so, that these were shunned as the said *Agots* ~ *
Cagot*. At any rate, whaling became big in Biarritz soon thereafter.

Yes, of course the Basques and their languages are unique (beyond the fact
that *all* peoples and their languages are unique)! They have long been
considered a great mystery and have inspired all manner of romantic and
exotic hypotheses with links on all continents. It's easy to get carried
away with that, so we must be careful.

As for the Basque welcoming song *Agur Jaunak* I shared, I consider it a
suitable "anthem" for linguistic and cultural diversity and for minorities
in general, and I mean this globally, not limited to the Lowlands.

Regards and *Kumpelmenten*!

Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: About ten minutes ago I just found that I've become a great-uncle.
That and a few pictures is all I know so far ... I owe a few people some
spanking for their secrecy.