LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.24 (06) [A/E]

Sun May 25 05:13:04 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  - 24 May 2008 - Volume 06

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Anthropology" 2008.05.24 (04) [E]

Dear Ron & Mike.

Subject: LL-L "Anthropology"

First to Ron: Veels geluk aan u en uwe! I reckon you'll make a fine great
uncle, but don't let them run away with you (I rather fear you will).

Mike, Hi!

I hold with Ron here, but let's look at the two questions separately,

Mike: TWO questions:
1. The mysteries of the origin of the Basques?
2. The alleged presence of a SECOND race, comparable to the pygmies in
Africa, South and South-East Asia and (formerly) Australia.

Mark; on 1.
I reckon the Basques are a homogenous survival of European strains of Homo
Sapiens Sapiens isolated by the Wurm Glaciation in the Pyrinees. With the
retreat of the Wurm other strains could return, & blended with the surviving
population in the more accessible areas, leaving the isolated Basques - well
- isolated. I think with Ron that these were the megalithic people that
built Stonehenge, Carnac, the structures on Malta & the stone circles, long
barrows on the Ahaggar plateau in Algeria & the cromlechs in the High
Galilea in Israel. I don't assume the Basques did it but they were related
to those who did. Luc made two points that impress me, that Iberia at that
time must have been fat country, to give this hunting people the leisure to
develop such an artistic culture. All we have to support this thesis is that
as Basques have told me, the root-forms of Basque technical language reach
back to a stone-age culture, with the word 'knife' for example going back to
the name for 'flint' & 'ceiling' means literally 'the roof of the cave'

On 2.
What tickles me is the question of Cagot origins. Excepting for their
diminutive stature (to which too many genetic variables apply) & I speak
under correction, but all the other unique features: Black hair, dark eyes,
ears, head-shape, blood type & webbed digits, are dominant, not recessive.
Now isolation brings out recessives, but it might just as well isolate
dominants, so there you have it. I concede the fact of these people only
because I have seen samples of all these in one somatype (incidentally, Ron,
I hadn't known that bit about webbed hands, & they have far & away from an
extreme form of this condition, but our friends have that too). I wouldn't
compare Cagots to the pygmies in Africa. I reckon African negritos are
outgrowths of the local Central African Negro somatype, & have no relation
to negritos elswhere in the World. The tropical jungle of Central Africa is
an old, old jungle in climatic terms, with ample time to breed its own
unique kinds of many local creatures. Those recent discoveries of Homo
Floresiensis, Mike: They made you sit up & pay attention, hey! I don't see
they're related. But that is another delicious story. There are too many
reports from utterly unrelated cultures all over the World of a 'Little
People" to dismiss without further examination.

Yrs,
Mark

---------