LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.27 (01) [E]

Tue May 27 14:49:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 27 May 2008 - Volume 01

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.26 (04) [E]

From Heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Sandy Fleming wrote

Around the town of Bridgwater in Somerset, England, there are a few
villages with "zoy" in the name: Chedzoy, Middlezoy, Westonzoyland.

Has anybody any suggestions about what the "zoy" could mean?

According to Ekwall's DEPN it was originally Chedesie < Cedd's island and it
must be the local 'buzz'  s > z that changes it to 'zoy'

Middlezoy was originally  Soweie, Sowi where Sow- relates to a local stream
name and the -i is from OE eg, ig = island

Weston  Zoyland was formerly Westsowi with the same origins

Heather
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

So what I find interesting here is that it looks as though **...z oy* came
to be reanalyzed as one word.

Furthermore, considering earlier written *...ie*, there seems to have been a
shift to *...oy* conditioned by dialectical phonology.

My knowledge of England English dialectology is somewhat dated, but I do
remember that "Zummerzet" dialects (which I really enjoy listening to) have
[z] where others have [s] (and [v] where others have [f], as in
*vadder *[ˈvadɻ̩]
for 'father'). But what I'm after is to know if the pronunciation of [aɪ]
([aI]) could have led to [ɔɪ] ([OI]). I believe that the most common
pronunciation if this diphthong in that area is [ɑɪ] ([AI]) or perhaps [ɒɪ],
which could indeed have led to [ɔɪ] ([OI]).

Anyone?