LL-L "History" 2008.05.31 (02) [E]

Sat May 31 16:38:05 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 May 2008 - Volume 02

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L History

Whike cleaning up my library I found a little book about Flemish
pilgrimages.
It is a collection of different articles plublished by Antoon Viaene
(1900-1979) and it focusses especially on pilgrimages imposed by local
courts (so they all have a fixed redemption value). I have read somewhere
(and seen on TV) that this practice is still incidentally imposed by French
courts as alternative task punishment for youngsters, in the form
of a supervised hiking tour, taking several weeks, to Compostela in Spanish
Galicia.

Viaene focusses on Flemish local court rulings (Flemish in a narrow sence:
it refers to the old County of Flanders) in the late middle ages. Although
some of the articles overlap, I found these three concerning places in our
lowlands area:

Lübeck
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil075.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil076.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil077.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil078.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil079.jpg

Wilsnack* (in Brandenburg, is this still linguistically lowlandic Ron?)*
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil101.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil102.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil103.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil104.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil105.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil106.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil107.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil108.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil109.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil110.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil111.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil112.jpg

Saint Andrews *(In Schotland)*
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil148.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil149.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil150.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil151.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil152.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/pil153.jpg

It is scanned from:
Antoon Viaene, *Vlaamse pelgrimstochten*, een verzameling opstellen over
bedevaarten en bedevaarders vanuit Vlaanderen in de late middeleeuwen,
1982, Brugge, Gidsenbond, No ISBN (1500 copies printed), xxv + 280 + ix pp.

It is in Dutch with quotations in "Dutch of the time"..
Some names appear in their Flemish form, as e.g. Kantelberg for Canterbury.

Some relevant links:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lübeck<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCbeck>
http://www.luebeck.de/

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilsnack
http://www.amt-badwilsnack-weisen.de/
http://www.wilsnack.de/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Andrews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_of_St_Andrews
http://www.standrews.co.uk/

A famous pilgrimage site in Northern Belgium still is *Scherpenheuvel*:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scherpenheuvel
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
Typical food sold at the tourist boots in Scherpenheuvel is* pepernoot*
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepernoot
a kind of ginger nut with a strong anise flavouring.
The word even exists in Spanish:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepernoot

Regards,
Roger

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thanks, dear Roger!

Doesn't this have "Travel's article" written all over it? 8-)

http://lowlands-l.net/travels/