LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.05.31 (01) [E]

Sat May 31 16:33:02 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 31 May 2008 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders, especially our friends in or from Southern Africa,

The other day I happened to watch a promotional clip on one of our local (NW
US) public access TV stations. People of various backgrounds encouraged
others to participate. This was presented in various languages, including
some African ones, such as Twi.

One lady, probably of "mixed race" but, going by looks alone, of not much
European background spoke in what I did right away recognize as a sort of
Afrikaans, and it helped that she was identified as being from Namibia. But
I found it rather difficult to understand. I am currently venturing an
educated guess and say she was a Baster*, a.k.a. Rehoboth Baster, most of
whom live in Namibia and apparently speak Afrikaans.

*(I still have a hard time "saying" this name, considering that it is
derived from pejorative "bastard." However, I am not putting it in quotation
marks because the people themselves have decided to own this name, and
apparently proudly so. Something similar happened in the case of Canada's
Métis.)

Together with the "Coloureds" or Griqua (or *bruinmense* "brown people") of
South Africa (who tend to have higher degrees of European ancestry) and the
"Mestiços" of Mozambique, the Basters are Southern Africa's three main
ethnic groups of "mixed" ancestry (if you are in the mindset that is all
right with "racial" classification).

My question:
Exactly what sort of Afrikaans is it that the Basters speak natively (and I
assume they speak Standard Afrikaans as well)? Is it a form of or linked
with Griqua Afrikaans (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/griekwa-info.php)?

My suggestion:
I suggest we occasionally discuss Baster history and culture as well. These
seem very interesting to me, especially the aspect of "conservatism" that
some people describe as "more Dutch than the Dutch."

Thanks in advance!