LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.03 (03) [E]

Mon Nov 3 16:57:44 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 November 2008 - Volume 03

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Lowlanners,

some days ago I came across the Dutch word *_terugeisen_,* G:
'zurückfordern, zurückverlangen', E: 'to redemand'. In Standard German we
have *'los-eisen'* in a similar meaning (E: 'to pry sth. loose').

I wonder about the etymological background of this word - could it be
related to the noun G: 'Eisen', E: 'iron' around the meaning of
'loosening/breaking the chains' or 'escape from an iron trap', the latter
called also '(Fang-)Eisen' in German? Or is it from any complete different
roots?

GRRRRimm doesnt't help this time :-(, so I have to depend on your
inspirations *s*!

Thanks in award and

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm