LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.04 (01) [E]

Tue Nov 4 15:08:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 November 2008 - Volume 01

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.03 (05) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

Subject: Etymology

Hey, Marcus!

It has long been my assumption that /eisch/ 'naughty', 'misbehaved' (in Low
Saxon and Missingsch, also in other Northern German dialects) comes from the
interjection /ei!/, an old-time expression of dismay or exasperation. (You
still find it in 19th-century literature.) In other words, I believe we are
dealing with an originally child language word: /ei/+/(i)sch/ with the
adjectival/adverbial (originally approximative) suffix that is related to
English "-ish".

<http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2002/06/25/39645.html> connects "eisch" to
Middle Low Saxon "eislîk" (<
http://drw-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/drw-cgi/zeige?db=dig&darstellung=v&index=buecher&term=Schiller-Luebben+I&seite=g646-647>).
And "eislîk" is connected to Dutch "ijselijk": <
http://books.google.de/books?id=mJc3AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=nederlands+etymologisch&client=firefox-a#PPA278,M1>.
Lorenz Diefenbach supports this: <
http://books.google.de/books?id=5ib5muoYMDIC&pg=PA2&dq=ijselijk>.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.03 (03) [E]

Hi all

Jaa, Jonny, interessante Frage!

If I look at the few eis forms in Afrikaans it seems that
there is some kind of steely activity at work.

terug eis - to claim back
vereis - to be obliged
ooreis - to exert oneself
eise - claims (re. insurance and legal)