LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.19 (04) [E]

Wed Nov 19 22:40:34 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 November 2008 - Volume 04

From: "Sean Roach" <sroa at loc.gov>
Subject: Language use

Heather, Diederik & Ron,
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!  My problem: when I speak to Dutch
speakers in Dutch, they usually assume from my accent that I'm German (the
"dominant foreign language" tends to color other foreign languages.)  They
then answer me in not-so-good German.  I'm actually an English speaker, but
I always reply to them "Nee, ik ben geen Duitser" which then sometimes
forces them to continue the conversation in Dutch!  I agree there's an
element of showing off involved, but also the Dutch are taught "van kinds
af" to accomodate foreigners by using their language.  I try to remember
they're being polite, but I agree it's frustrating...  Even worse, of
course, if they switch to a foreign language when confronted with a Fleming!

Sean Roach

----------

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.19 (02) [E]

Isn't it possible that, at least in some cases, they don't even realize
they're speaking English to you?  Perhaps both languages come so naturally
to them that they can't tell when their switching from one to the other?  I
know that when I was studying Russian intensely in college, I sometimes had
trouble writing in English – I'd write English words but substitute Cyrillic
letters now and then.

Kevin Caldwell

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hey! I got it! I got it!

It's their somewhat subtle way of reminding our Diederik that he's nothing
but a foreigner in their neck of the woods. "If you Flemish lot don't
reunite with us, then this is how we'll treat you. We'll speak *English* to
you. So there!"

Oh, yes! Oh, yes! I'm sure it's all a great, big conspiracy.  8-]

Kumpelmenten,