LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.21 (02) [E]

Fri Nov 21 19:48:49 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 November 2008 - Volume 02

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.20 (04) [E/LS]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Reinhard/Ron wrote " all those German-speaking *Quiddjes*, non-natives"

Please do explain meaning / origins/ nuances of this gorgeous word
"Quiddjes"

I want to use it! Such fun to say!

Heather

Quiddje of Wichenford

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

A *Quiddje* (~ *Quittje *~ *Quietje*) is someone who is not originally from
Northern Germany, usually specifically from Hamburg or from the coast, is
not very familiar with local culture and does not know Low Saxon or
Missingsch. It is also used to refer to a newbie or greenhorn among ships'
crews, someone that doesn't yet know the routines and doesn't have all the
necessary skills.

According to the German Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiddje),
the origin of the word is obscure. Some believe it comes from French *quitté
* used in connection with merchants' passes at (Hamburg's) city gates.

I can't help wondering if the word *Quiddje* (*kwidje ~ kwitje*) is of Dutch
origin like other Low Saxon words of Northern Germany that end with
diminuitve –*je* (such as *Buttje*, *Bontje* and *Mattjes*). And here comes
my own hypothesis that *Quiddje* (*kwidje ~ kwitje*) came from Dutch
*kwijt*(dialectal and Western Low Saxon
*kwiet*) in the sense of 'unable to function' and 'helpless'. Doesn't this
make sense? I think I'll add it to the Wikipedia article with reference to
this posting in our archive.