LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.21 (01) [D/E]

Fri Nov 21 19:07:53 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 November 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.11.20 (04) [E/LS]

Hi Almal,

Regarding acceptance when speaking to people in their own language, I
haven't had that problem in Germany or Austria - but that's because,
apparently I have a "strange" accent.  I first learned German at school, but
left it behind, learning Afrikaans in South Africa and dabbling with
Scandinavian languages.  I returned to serious German study relatively
recently. As a result, they know I'm a foreigner, but they can't work out
what kind, so everybody keeps on with German even when I struggle, as they
can't decide what to switch to!

So my advice is, if you can't speak like a native, talk funny!

Paul Finlow-Bates