LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.11.24 (03) [E/LS]

Mon Nov 24 19:42:07 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 November 2008 - Volume 03

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

Ook is mi wiss, dat wi an't Enn vun'n Dag alltohoop in't sülvige Boot sitten
doot, sogaar Jonny, de ole Stinkbüdel.

 It strikes me that you're using the noun "Stinkbüdel". I'm not aware of the
connotations of this word in LS, but in Dutch one can also use the words
"stinker" and "stinkaard" in not too derogatory a way. "Stinker" is meant to
be a tad less insulting than "stinkaard" but they're both said of somebody
who is a little naughty and yet clever at the same time.

So, "Rajnke de Vos es al ze leive ne voële stinker gewest...ne linkadoor".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Apparently, English also uses/used stinker/stinkard in a similar way.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi, Luc!

I think there's a semantic link, but I wonder if the Low Saxon meaning is
closer to the original one. Low Saxon *Stinkbüdel* (*stinkbuydel* [ˈstɪˑŋkˌ
byˑdl̩], lit. "stink-bag") can mean several things, basically though
something like 'trouble-maker', much in the sense of someone that creates an
atmosphere of discord, someone that incites people against each other. So he
or she "stinks up the air". Obviously, some intelligence is required for
being a successful *Stinkbüdel* (though I'm not so sure about Jonny's
specific case ;-) ). (It ought to be more appropriate in *my *case, since
I'm a foxy Reynard or *Raynke*.)

You can use the Low Saxon word *Stinker* instead, but the language has a
predilection for "negative" words (or the *-er* and *-aard* type) ending
with *Büdel *'bag'.

I imagine our Heather might consider adding *Stinkbüdel* to her budding fine
collection begun with *Quiddje*.

(Jonny, the self-confessed *Hass-Uhu*,* replied to my use of the word with
German "Selber!" '(your)self!', 'Right back at yer!', but the rest of us
know full well that this could not be farther from the truth.)

* German: *Hass* 'hatred', 'hating'; *Uhu* 'horned owl'