LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.11.24 (07) [E]

Tue Nov 25 01:50:31 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 November 2008 - Volume 07

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.11.24 (03) [E/LS]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Reinhard/Ron wrote

"I imagine our Heather might consider adding *Stinkbüdel* to her budding
fine collection begun with *Quiddje*."

Actually not! There is a huge amount of sensual satisfaction to be had from
saying "Quiddje" - a slow deliberation of lips, teeth and tongue - let alone
the sound it produces.

'Stink' on the other hand sounds short, sharp and nasty even with a Germanic
'st-' rather than English 'st-'. There is little pleasure to be had in its
saying......... even with -büdel attached - which I  take to be the Low
German form of our 'bundle'  with nasalisation ???

I love words that are delicious to say - and get a thrill every time I quote
Rupert Brooke's The Fish which contains these lines near its end ....

But there the night is cold and close and bare

And the secret deeps are whisperless

And rhythm is all deliciousness

And joy is in the throbbing tide

Whose intricate fingers beat and glide

In felt bewildering harmonies of trembling touch.

And music is the exquisite knocking of the blood.

Mmmmmmmmm!

Excuse me while I pick myself up from the floor!

What are forum members' favourite words? or lines of poetry?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Ok, OK, Heather! Be like that then! Picky, picky ...

Many of us boys enjoy the sound of somewhat naughty words. To us they're
"like buttah". I guess that's because we tend to be *Stinkbüdels* in the
Flemish sense: naughty, yet clever ... and of course irresistably cute.

By the way, in most Northern Low Saxon dialects (and also in several
Missingsch and other North German varieties) *st-*, *sp-*, *sm-*, *sn-*, *
sl-* and *sk-* are pronounced as in English. It's the sound Southerners
consider "typically northern". This sound has been fading in the wake of
increasing Germanization, though.