LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.29 (05) [E]

Sat Nov 29 22:44:36 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 November 2008 - Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Paul,

Afrikaans and Dutch *reus* means 'giant' (noun), being the cognate of German
(*riso* >) *Riese* and Low Saxon *Rees'* (*reys'*) or *Ries'* (*rys'*).

Because the Old Saxon cognate seems to begins with *w-* (**wrisi*, > *
wrisilīk* 'gigantic') and mythological giants tend to be associated with
mountains, the *Herkunftsduden* people consider it possible that this group
is related to Greek *ρίων* (*rhíon*) 'summit', 'foot of a mountain (range)'.

I am rather wondering if it is related to the "rise" group, in which case *
w-* may have acted as a derivative prefix.

(I don't think the issue of ancient prefixes is understood terribly well so
far.)