LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.30 (01) [E]

Sun Nov 30 08:54:30 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 November 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.29 (04) [E]

Dear Paul

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

You wrote:

In the Wiki article I noted the word "vuurreus" referring to the fire-giant
Surtr; "Vuur" I obviously know, but what exactly does "reus" mean, and are
there any related words in other languages?

Mark:

In Afrikaans 'reus' = giant. My Afrikaanse Etimologie (Boshoff en Nienaber)
reports as follows:

Something or someone particularly large of its kind. Nederlands 'reus'; Mndl
'rëse/reuse/röse' - hero, giant; Hd 'riese'. Origin further back uncertain.
Perhaps related to Greek '(h)rion' mountain-top/heights.

Nice string. I should have expected a common term throughout the Teutonic
languages, but we have ME 'giant', OE 'ent', Ndl & Afr 'reus'. Did we then
all make separate, isolated contact with giant things (enta weorcan) OE?

Yrs,

Mark