LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.30 (02) [A/E]

Sun Nov 30 21:43:10 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 November 2008 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.29 (05) [E]

Thanks Ron; guess I've never had to deal with giants in Afrikaans or German!
Though I'm surprised I never heard it applied to Springbok rugby
forwards....

Old English had *eoten*, like Norse *jotun*, so I probably assumed Dutch or
German might be similar. We ditched Middle English *ettyn* for the French
geant, though "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", about 1350, has *etayn*.

Are there any links to this word in other languages?

Paul

----------

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.29 (04) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates asked whether there are any words related to Dutch

"reus". German has Riese. Middle Dutch had *rese *next to *reuse.* Clearly
akin to Dutch *rijzen*, English *to rise , to raise.*

*Regards,*

*Roger Hondshoven*

----------

From: ppvaneeden at ziggo.nl
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.30 (01) [E]

Goeie dag,

Heel interessant oor die woord *Reus*! In my Etymologisch woordeboek van het
Nederlands staan dat die woord *reus* moontlik verwant is aan die Latynse *
verrūca* (hoogte) en Sanskrit *vársman* (hoogte) en Indo-europees
**uer-*(verhoogde plek).

Groete,

Petrus van Eeden

----------

From: wim <wkv at home.nl>

From wim verdoold

wkv at home.nl

zwolle netherlands.

About the word Reus  , german riese, English giant.

The word "Droes" comes to mind, in Germanic  thurs  ( also the name of the
th rune ).

Maybe reus comes from dereus,  and that is the mis understood word droes?
  That happened more often with words.   Putting de and the word together of
misunderstanding a word that starts with the ( de) (den, der) and cutting it
up..

Just a thought,

I hope I'm not to dol en driest….

wim

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

And thanks Mark; I replied to Ron's post before I read yours!

As for straight-laced British, Ron; I recommend a Friday night in Nottingham
to rapidly cure you of that notion!

Paul

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Haai julle!

Baie dankie, Petrus.

Ek het 'n paar jaar gelede die wonderlike boekie van Padraic Colum getiteld

*Nordic Gods and Heroes* van 'n liewe vriend gekry, waarin na Ragnarök as

"the Twilight of the Gods" verwys word.

Groete,

Elsie Zinsser

From: ppvaneeden at ziggo.nl
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.28 (02) [E]

Elsie,

Die woord *rag/rak* herken jy ook in die woord *Ragnarok* of die "eindtyd"
volgens die Germaanse mitologie!

Die woord *ragna* dui op "fynheid" of " mistieke" of selfs "Goddelike". Die
woord *ragna* is dan ook verwant aan *Regent* (heerser). Kyk bietjie hier
vir meer besonderhede oor Ragnarok:  http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok

Hartlike groete,

Petrus van Eeden