LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.03 (05) [D/E/German]

Fri Oct 3 22:32:29 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 October 2008 - Volume 05

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.03 (04) [E]

Reinhard, ie schrèven.

By the way, one of the Low Saxon words for 'blade (of a knife or sword)' is
*kling* (*Kling*) which I suspect of being a German loan. Perhaps older is
Low Saxon *lemmel* (*Lemmel*) for the same thing. I don't know about its
etymology. It seems like a diminutive form of **lem(b)* or **lam(b)*. Or
does it come from *lamella*?

Nederlaandse Etymologisch woordenboek.

Lemmer (15980 Ook Lemmet (1616) ontstaan ui mnl. *Lemmele *
metaalblad/zwaardkling.

Uit het diminutief *lâmella *van Lat. *Lâmina *of *lâmna *blad metaal,kling

Vgl. lamble (Bern. C.1240)

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie