LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.04 (02) [E]

Sat Oct 4 18:42:30 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.03 (05) [D/E/German]

For the Lexical Bunch, Mark, Ron, Marlou, Arend and Ron.

Mark made the remark that: By the way, I believe a "blad" can mean "page" or
"newspaper" in some of the Germanic languages.

Yes, not only that, but in Dutch the word "blad" has two different plurals.

 blad/bladeren for the leaves of trees and flowers;

and blad/bladen for things that can give you nasty papercuts, like newspaper
and grass and also flat things on which you can set something down, with the
meaning of tray, or table leaf.

But then we do not know "blad" in the meaning of  English "blade"

Have fun with that one! Jacqueline

----------

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>

Dear Mark Brooks and other Lowlands eager beavers,

I'm sure this has been written up before here, but nennyhow:

When the 11th and 12th Century Norman overlords wanted

 porc

veau

boeuf

venaison

mouton

lambeau

chèvre

they had to translate into the Anglo-Saxon of the farmers who supplied
them:

 porc                swin

boeuf               neat, oxa, cu

veau                cealf

venaison          heorot (M.E. dere)

mouton            sceap

agneau            lamb

chèvre             geiz

poule              cicen

Sorry, I don't have the middle French used by the Normans. I know "venaison"
came into use a century later, but it fits the pattern. They would have said
"cerf". And English speakers never have adopted chevre or poule.

Generally we use the French derived words for the "supermarket meats" and
Old English derived terms for the beasts on the hoof.

Jorge Potter